Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Why Do They Call It Still Life?

I have spent at least 20 hours working on a still life for Drawing Class although still life is a bit of an oxymoron.  There is no "life" in a plastic cup, styrofoam ball, milk carton, paper cone and a pyramid.  I have never done a still life before.  As far as drawing, I haven't really done much formal work.  Doodling is not creating a still life.

One of my fellow students has spent at least as many hours as I have creating every shadow and wrinkle in the background paper.  The detail he has put in is incredible and almost photo-like.  He has helped me on my piece, adding that it possesses a great deal of character.  I wonder if that is a nice way of saying it sucks! 

For this exercise I discovered the beauty of a blending stump and blotting paper.  What did I do without a blending stump before??

I have to admit I am semi-impressed with this.  Not that it is the best drawing every but that I completed something like this.  It is definitely a new experience for me.  Does it suck?  You be the judge.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Blog List